Thursday, January 13, 2011

Three displays... pure luxury!

I just came back from my holidays and there it is, my third display waiting for me to power it up! Yes, probably as the first in the office I got to work with 3 monitors on the daily basis to proove the legendary "increase in efficiency when using more desktop space" concept.

Well, the setup itself was a bit tricky since I needed to get a special graphic card and a special adapter for one of my displays. Currently ATI supports three or more monitors with their FirePro graphic cards and Eyefinity technology. I ordered FirePro V4800 (the very basic and realatively cheap one) for my purposes. This professional card provides 2 DisplayPorts and 1 DVI port that can be used to plug-in 3 displays. But wath out, there is a trick! In order to enjoy your desktop on 3 screens, you would need at least one monitor with DiplayPort input. If you don't have one then there is an option to buy an expensive (~90-100EUR) active DisplayPort to DVI adapter for you VGA or DVI display. Since at my company they get crappy displays by default, I was forced to get one of those adapters for my setup. It works perfectly.. but it is just an uncecessary additional cost you would want to avoid when possible.

It's to early to say anything about my "performace imporvements" but I already feel great about having my development env in the center, docs on the left side and build results on the right ;-)

No comments: